Thursday, October 19, 2006

Scuba Aruba


I wonder how many pictures we capture of each other during our brief time on this planet. It seems like we take quite a few of them. Some of them seem to get lost, or tossed or just filed away in a cabniet or a hard drive. Then there are some that we cling to, that we find 'special' -- these are the photos that seem to truly capture more than just the moment, the preserve people, feelings, experiences. They touch us in special ways. What is even more interesting is that the value of these pictures seems to change over time. Some photos that I used to love, now seem 'ho hum', and some that I never appreciated, I now find incredibly powerful.

This is a picture that I keep on my desk at work. I have had it here for about a year now. I find myself appreciating it more each day. That's me and my dad of course (please forgive the image quality, this is a copy of a copy.) We took this together in Aruba on a scuba trip with mom and Tanya around 1994... 12 years ago. Much has changed in all of our lives since then. I remember the trip well, dad was lugging scuba tanks around and diving with us down to 93' to see shipwrecks and denziens of the deep. The hand-signs we are making are supposed to sign-out "Too Cool", which was unquestionably the signature catch-phrase from that vacation. Good times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this picture as well and am happy you have such a great memory to pass down to your children. Boofin is a great man :)

Anonymous said...

You have just created such a wonderful memory around such a wonderful trip. Remember 3-cool wasn't cool? Knowing this has been on your desk for a year just melts my heart. How lucky your Dad and I are to have such a sensitive loving son. That is really TWO-COOL!