Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Boys vs. Girls


Whenever I talk to people about their kids, I always ask them about how different there kids are from each other. The reason I always ask is that I am constantly astonished by the differences in my kids. Personality, size, noise level, speech... the variances amaze me. It doesn't seem to matter if you have 2 boys, or 2 girls, or one of each, the answer I always get back is something like, "Oh yeah, they are like night and day when it comes to ____."

I used to think it was just gender differences. But the more I watch, the more I think there has to be something more. While Katie and Andy certainly share a common toe-headed resemblance, the rest of their behaviors lead me to believe that there must be infinite variables in the gene sequencing equation... as that could certainly be the only explanation for the wild differences between the two. Either that or God must really have enjoyed making contrast when he planned out boys vs. girls.

While the picture above may appear rather poorly composed and infinitely mundane (and in many ways it is!), I think it truly represents this sibling contrast in a way that is almost poetic. If only I had this on video, you would truly get a better grip on the moment.

The moment behind the photo: I just got home after a long day and I am trying to spend the quickly dwindling last moments of the day with the two kids before bedtime. Both are like puppies, trying to get my attention at the same time and eager to play. Katie, is having me help her put on a Princess Necklace and modeling it for me in the most elegant poses that a 4-year-old can muster. And Andy, well he's got his head inside the shopping basket, maintaining his balance while yelling as loud as he can, "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...." The plastic-echoey sound bouncing off the inside of the cart forces him to giggle intermittently, adding to the challenge of keeping his balance and his breath, while still perpetuating his Eureka discovery of inverted-plastic-shopping-cart-echo-yodelling.

And I submit to you again, while they look the same... these are two very different kids. Perhaps the most amazing thing here, is that they still play together and get along like peas and carrots. Check that... the most amazing thing here is that I'm actually proud of them for displaying these wondrous traits.

Until next time.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

great post! i cannot wait to see how my next little girl will be. we blame most of Aubrey's characterisitics on having two loud, outgoing, stubborn parents. But that's the fun part, we will see how her sister grows in the same environment.

Kathy said...

Hi Sando - I AGREE!! The best thing about having both genders is that you get to appreciate each one MORE becauses of the differences!