Sunday, March 22, 2009

Kite Running




I sure have had a rough patch of health the last 4 days. I won't bore you with the details, but let's just say I have seen enough of the bathroom for a while.

So today I felt on the mend, and decided I needed to get out of the house. I noticed on the TV that San Diego had a high-wind advisory in effect, so I immeadiately thought "KITES!". I grabbed the kids and drove 3 minutes to a hill top park here called Kate Sessions.

We had a few kites, both of which have never been flown. One of them, we call the Turtle Kite, was a decoration my mom bought for Andy's room, and it has been collecting dust since our last move. Not sure it would even fly, I rigged it up quickly and let her rip. Turned out that the turtle kite was not only our best kite, but also the best kite at the park! We blew the other amateurs away and had our little kite higher than anyone else. Andy deserves most of the credit for having the unending patience/fascination to fly it for about 45 minutes. (Check out the middle picture closely, our kite is the one up HIGH.)

I must say, there's nothing quite like flying a kite. Maybe it's just the pure element of looking into the big blue sky for longer than we normally do. There is something about the experience that seems to capture both wonder and relaxation. I think what I love most about it, is the peaceful dedication to watching something that simply isn't going anywhere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always thought it was the combination of freedom whilebeing tied down that was fasinaing - like a puppy on a leash.