Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Double Celebration


My mom had a birthday today and also celebrated her official retirement this weekend! We went up to SB to help her celebrate the occasion -- there was a big party at the park and lots of friends and family.

As many of you know, my mom was raised on a farm. She never went to college. Coming from this background, I am both amazed and proud of all she has accomplished professionally over the course of her career. She started her own interior design business (Shar Decor) in 1974, which at the time was nothing more than a few carpet samples stored in the hallway closet. Over the last 35 years, she has grown that small idea into a very significant business and has employed dozens of other designers to work for her. I've been an entrepreneur and let me assure you, it's no picnic. Its all about stress and endless hours of work -- and I have a lot of respect for anyone who can stick it out.

So she has earned a well deserved break from the toils of employment and will be 'dropping the curtain' on Shar Decor this year.

In the spirit of celebrating her life and career, I wrote the following poem, enjoy:

"How was she supposed to know?"

There was a girl who use to live
On a farm with lots of snow
She worked real hard from dawn to dusk,
...How was she supposed to know?

The days were long and dad was tough,
As she pushed around that plow
She'd clean the barn and ask herself
'Must I also milk the cow?'

The girl grew up and thought inside
"I can't take this farmhand strife,
I've gota hit the bigtime,
And make a bit more of this life"

She dreamed of smartin' up a bit
And asked her pop for money
I want to go to college dad
But he said, "no way, honey"

It's 1962 my dear
your future is not to roam,
your meant for cookin' and cleanin',
staying barefoot in the home

This stinks, said she, I'm more than that
Ill show YOU what my plan is
I'm smart and strong and just as good
as any other man-is

So she packed her bags at eighteen
To the city... the big show
But jobs were scarce and also hard,
...How was she supposed to know?

She ironed shirts, and wore short skirts
for she had to scrimp and save
Getting by in the great big world
can mean living like a slave

When suddenly it dawned on her,
"Wisconsin is waaay to cold!
Ill head out to the golden state
Where it's warm and full of gold!"

She packed again and hopped a train
California had her smirkin'
She found this place call Santa B
Where she would start a workin'

She'd tried her hand at makin' perms
but it didnt seem to stick
But then she landed at a desk
Twas a little more her shtick

When suddenly she met this guy
And she was quickly smitten
Her career became a memory
The baby clock was ticken'

It now seemed that earning felt like
some-thing of a distant foe
"I better nab this golden boy"
...How was she supposed to know?

She cooked and cleaned and washed the clothes
the job just faintly hauntin'
cause nothing stops this little girl
from gettin what she's wantin'

Soon they wed, and not long after
little babies came around
she rocked and wiped for many years
'til she heard again that sound

the sound of calling destiny
of being something greater
I think Ill fix up peoples homes
and be a decorator!

Galen said "Cool, I'll work part-time!
What a great idea honey,
Ill shoot more ducks and fish too,
and YOU can make the money!"

And so she did for many years,
starting her very own store,
she made an empire of design,
in the name of Shar Decor

The years went by more quickly now
she was working high and low
the job was fun but had its costs
...How was she supposed to know?

They say you know when it is time
to quit while your still alive
if you forget, Retirement
will tell you at sixty-five

So she'll close up shop and rest now
for Shar Decor was certain
to make her nuts or kill her
unless she pulled the cutain

And now whats next, we'll have to wait
and see what fate will bring us
exotic trips and aged fine wine
and songs granchildren sing us

So great job mom, you've earned your keep
it's now time to take it slow
dont worry about what comes next
..How are you, supposed to know.

END

And if that's not enough, here is the "When I'm 64" Birthday Video I made for her a few years back...

When I'm 64 Birthday Video for Mom

We are proud of you mom, and we love you!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Ahhh, that made my eyes tear up. What a neat gift for your Mom!

Anonymous said...

Well done, Steve!

Anonymous said...

Stevie - you delighted me when you were little, ou delight me now - never letting me down (at least not for long):-) you are a generous spirit and have my unconditional love forever. SharDecor was good but my children are the best!

Kathy said...

Hey Sando - GREAT job on the poem. It was masterful and entertaining at the same time. What a great gift for your mom. "Things" get lost or broken but words stay around forever.

Woody said...

Steve, I'm inspired by your ability to create things that will last forever. Well done is right.