Monday, September 03, 2007

Money


I had a very interesting conversation with Katie today. We were in the pool and floating peacefully in the sun, both of us using noodles to relax on our backs in the quiescent 94 degree water. It was a very relaxing moment (as Andy had gone in for a bath already.) After about 10 minutes of this magical floating silence, Katie decided it was time to talk, and the conversation went something like this:

Katie: Daddy, I'd like to give money to my friends.

Me: That's nice Katie, how much money do you want to give?

Katie: Ummm, I think about 3 moneys.

Me: That sounds like a good amount. Where are you going to get these moneys?

Katie: Well, ak-shoe-allie, I want to give twenty-nintey moneys.

Me: Hmm, that sounds like a lot, do you have that much?

Katie: Yes, I have lots of money in my piggie bank.

Me: Really? Where did you get so much?

Katie: From you.

Me: I see... Katie, do you know how much twenty-ninety moneys is?

Katie: *smile* No.

Me: Well, when it comes to money, it's a good idea to know what it is worth when you are spending it or giving it away.

(We proceeded to have a short conversation about how much a penny was worth, how much a quarter was worth, and how much a dollar was worth. After my short lession, I began to test my teachings:)

Me: So Katie, what would you buy if you had 3 dollars?

Katie: A Unicorn.

Me: Wow. I didn't even know you could buy them.

Katie: Yes, and it would have pretty bows and ribbons in its hair, and it would be pink and white.

Me: Katie, I think Unicorns are really expensive. They might cost all the money in the world.

Katie: Well, if I had all the money in the world, I would buy a castle, and some clothes.

Me: Now you're talkin'. So what would you do if you had no money.

Katie: Well, then I would get a shopping cart and dig for food.

Me: (Pause, and a double-take) A shopping cart? Why a shopping cart? (Wonder where this had come from...)

Katie: Well, there is this lady next to my school, who had a shopping cart, and she lives outside, and has dirty clothes, and she has no money. She digs for food.

Me: Why do you think she does that?

Katie: Because she is poor.

Me: Let's hope we don't have to do that Katie. That's why daddy worries a lot about his work, because I don't want to have to dig for food.

Katie: Well, if we had no money, we can grow food here at the house, and plant seeds. Right over there, in the grass. Mommy and Andrew could help too.

Me: I suppose we could.

Katie: Yeah, it would be REALLY fun. We don't need money daddy, we already have everything we need.


Indeed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We indeed do have everything we need - each other and love.

ps - I do dig for food - in the refrig and pantry.

Liam and Lucy said...

This one brought a tear to my eye - what a little sweet heart.

Anonymous said...

Way to go documenting this conversation! It's a keeper!