Friday, December 12, 2008

Christmas Parade





Last weekend we had the annual La Jolla Christmas Parade here in the village. It's a pretty big deal for our little community, and it feels like the whole town shows up for it.

This year, Katie was supposed to be in the Parade for BOTH Brownies and Adventure Guides. Well, since you can't be in two places at once, we decided she'd walk with the Brownies this time around. Her and Mommy spent all morning making her a 50's costume, and then daddy and Andy sat on the curb and waited for the big 'passing'. It was pretty neat. I think this was the first parade for us where a kid was in the line-up.

Andy and I had a fun time checking out the stuff before the parade, and we got to see the Nativity camel up real close, which was a thrill. Those camels are some funky animals for sure. Good stuff!

There was also this one really strange and wonderful moment that also happened during the parade. Well, let me back-up. So during the parade, the people walking down the street throw a lot of candy at the kids on the curbs. Andy was delighted by this fringe benefit (like most kids) and pounced on the showers of sugar as soon as they came near him. Being the strict dad that I am, I let him eat 4-5 'fun sized' treats in the course of about 10 minutes.

Then the sugar rush took over.

The parade came to a halt and there was a band nearby that was playing some typical marching music, heavy on the drums. The beat and the sugar triggered a reaction in Andy's brain and motivated him to get up and start dancing in street. Like, WAY out there. I think he kinda 'became' part of the parade for about a minute, completely entertaining me, and about 2-300 other watchers. He was seriously shakin' his stuff. I think I saw renditions of the robot and a few other moves that have yet to be invented. The crowd was literally clapping and cheering him on. I was so stunned that I totally neglected to take any pictures!

Anyhow, it was a classic Andy moment that will go on his list of 'very cute things I did when I was a kid'.

1 comment:

Kevin Heldt said...

HA! That's hilarious! Go Andy!