Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Big Changes


Wow, not only am I behind in my blogging, but I also have a TON of things to update you all on. At least I have an excuse, its been a pretty big week.

In the last 7 days we did the following:

- Sold our House
- Moved to a New House
- I Started a new Job
- Katie Turned 6
- Andy Turned 4
- Nana Came to Visit

Is that enough change for ya? It is for us, we are tired. So Ill try to follow-up with posts on each topic in the next week.

Starting with the Move...

MOVING

Yes, its goodbye to the old 1500 sqft place in University City, and hello to the new 2700 sqft place in La Jolla. Quite a change. Feels like living in a mansion. I must admit I love the new space. I have a den that casts a view over San Diego, the kids have a play-room sun-room, and Jen has... well a lot more to clean up.

Things I miss about the old house:
- The pool, by far the most
- All the memories, the baby steps, where the family began
- Knowing where everything is
- The nice neighbors

Things I dont miss about the old house:
- The size
- The landscape work (which I never really did a very good job at)
- The absence of a backyard
- The crazy neighbors

Things I like about the new house:
- The backyard
- The view
- The space
- My home office
- My wife's support to make the move

Things I don't like so much about the new house:
- The exploding plumbing (yeah, that's a lot of fun on the move-in)
- Renting (we decided to rent for a year for a number of reasons, mainly to give us time to find the 'right house')
- The added 15 minutes to my commute

All in all, its been quite a transition. I think the kids have adapted amazingly well and are excited about their new rooms, the yard and the prospect of continuing school with their La Jolla preschool classmates. Oh and the fact that we seem to have a pet already: there is a cotton-tail bunny that lives somewhere near here and comes into our yard to snack on the grass. More pics and details on that later.

We are actually pretty much there in terms of being unpacked. The rooms look a little barren considering we dont have a lot in the way of stuff.

Here are the photo journal highlights:

Sold!

Wow, all our stuff really CAN fit in the garage!

...which is good cause it has to go in this truck...

Bye bye old house!

Hello new yard, a little Bocce Ball

Andy gets a little air on the backyard swing

Moving boxes aren't just for packing stuff

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you for putting up the swing - croquet would be perfect also. I love your new house also. Reminds me of our home when you were a toddler (sierra madre) Steve didn't mention there are two balconies - and rich neighbors that have a pool -)

Brianna Heldt said...

congrats on selling your house and on the move! i think i'm way behind--does this mean we won't be seeing you in colorado now?

Anonymous said...

Brianna - as far as I know it will be within a year.

Kim Babcock said...

Wow - Sold already? You must have had an outstanding Realtor! ha-ha! Thanks for the advertising on your blog! :-)