Monday, May 19, 2008

Homer and the Sneeches


About 2 months ago, Andy realized that we have a lot of neat leatherbound classics in the den. He likes being read to, and so he took an interest in the books, with their fancy covers with gold-painted pictures.

Not long after discovering the collection, Andy found Homer's Illiad and Odyessy. He really liked the two Trojan warriors on the cover, and since that day, has asked me nearly every night to read him that book. Often times, he will get the book from the shelf, and bring it to me. Each time I laugh and tell him, "You won't understand it."

Tonight he brought the book to me again, clearly undeterred by my warnings. Tired of fending off his ceaseless requests, I agreed to read it to him.

After about two pages, he stops me and says, "Dad, it's hard to understand." I smiled at him and said, "What do you want to read?". He says, "How about Sneeches?" (Dr. Seuess...)

And so I took Homer back to the shelf in the den, and I thought about the irony that my son could not understand that he would not be able to understand the book. I thought about how many other things I will try to help him understand that will inevitably fall on deaf ears. I then started to feel some urgency, to share with him the little knowledge that I have gathered over the years... maybe I should set up some 'life lesson time', or something...

Then it occured to me that Andy is one of the happiest people I know in this world. Not long after that realization, I decided with supreme confidence that he should be in no rush to understand life. After all, ignorance is truly bliss. Now, if I could only find a way to return to ignorance...

I think I am starting to understand why I am always so eager to keep reading Seuess, and the Sneeches.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrew understands that his father loves him just like your father loved you and that is better than understanding alot of the not so nice things in our world. He loves you and I think that is what is most important in your relationship.

Anonymous said...

Anyone who shares his name with a Simpson doesn't need to be understood. Each generation tries to tell the one behind us lifes lessons and each generation doens't listen or understand. Steve, just like the song says
You who are on the road
Must have a code that you can live by
And so become yourself
Because the past is just a good bye.

Teach your children well,
Their father's hell did slowly go by,
And feed them on your dreams
The one they picked, the one you'll know by.

Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,
So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.

And you, of tender years,
Can't know the fears that your elders grew by,
And so please help them with your youth,
They seek the truth before they can die.

Teach your parents well,
Their children's hell will slowly go by,
And feed them on your dreams
The one they picked, the one you'll know by.

Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,
So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.