Monday, April 27, 2009

slow down, live long


We went to Krispy Kreme this weekend for our regular sugar fix. While we were there, I bought one of those Snapple drinks. Snapple does this cool thing where they put a fun fact in side the lid to entertain yourself while you drink. As I was reading...

Katie: "Daddy, what does it say inside the lid?"

Me: "It says, 'The longest living animal on the planet is the Tortoise, which has been recorded to live up to 125 years."

Katie: "125 Years? Wow! How much older is that than you?"

Me: "Alot."

Andy: "Maybe they live so longly because they move so slowly."

Me: (Impressed with my son's highly insightful comment.) "You know Andy, I am pretty sure you are right. Animals that move slowly, save their energy, and also take better care of their bodies."

Katie: "WELL, yeah daddy, that's why YOU should move slowly."


Now, you have to have seen the wonderfully sincere look in my daughters eyes as she made this comment, clearly concerned about her daddy sticking around for the long haul. I was perfectly touched, laughed, and promised to do as little work as possible! I told her I wasn't planning on going anywhere until I got to take HER kids to Krispy Kreme too. I promptly limited myself to just one doughnut that day, and only worked a little. ;)

2 comments:

Grandpa Dick said...

Yes, speaking with authority, it is wonderful to take your grandchildren to a donut shop, in my case, "Golden Donut". Katie has it right: Live a long time, Daddy!

And tell our daughter to slow down, too!

moma sando said...

my parents always said they wanted to live long enough to see their grandchildren marry - they saw 4 out of 5 and danced at all four weddings.