Sunday, April 19, 2009

Pinewood Derby


Katie's Adventure Guide Program is running the "Pinewood Derby" this weekend. This is a long standing traditional event within the scouting and adventure guide groups that dates back to when I was a kid and before.

Basically, you are given a small block of wood and some wheels, are are expected to make a car that will race in the Derby. Now, for those of you who have never been exposed to this experience, I dare you to google 'pinewood derby' and see what you find out there. If you want me to save you some time, i'll tell you here -- this event is hardcore. I was shocked to see how much time and effort people put into these cars. Clearly it's the dads that are driving the enthusiasm here, and it reminds me of the days when modeling and hobbyshops used to dominate the spare time of kids/men (before the invention of video games I think).

Anyhow, Katie and I worked on our car, as you can see in the photo above. I did the building part, Katie picked the colors and design, and we painted it together. Katie named it, "Heart and Soul".

Back to the hardcore part, so we take the car down to the YMCA today to get it entered in the race, which is tomorrow. You have to weigh it to make sure it is regulation and appropriately sized. When we got there, there was a line of like 20 fathers and kids checking these things in. I was AMAZED to see some of the cars. I mean, here were dads with really professional looking cars, and full-on toolboxes that made me feel like I was in the pit of a NASCAR race. There were incredibly creative entries as well -- cars that looked like everything from sushi rolls to Spongebob Squarepants.

Needless to say, I was feeling quite intimidated and trying to anticipate excuses I would have to tell Katie for why we dont have a car that looks like it costs $500 and took a year to build. But Katie was awesome, and just said, "Dad, maybe next year we can make a car that looks like my Webkinz."

So we checked in our car, (they impound it overnight) and we go back tomorrow to race against the masses. I give us about a 1:50 chance of even winning our first heat. Ill post back soon with the outcome!

No comments: