Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Do Not Enter

A few nights ago, I was playing Hot Wheels with Andy. Katie came over and decided to take Andy's favorite car and refused to give it back to him. I interceded, resulting in Katie running off to her room, slamming the door, accompanied by some yelling and crying.

Pretty normal everyday stuff.

Now I understand that she wants some attention, and that she is angry because I am spending time with Andy and not her, and that she is not able to put this together into words so she acted out. I get it, it's just I'm not about to reward that kind of behavior, and it been a long day, so I decided to let her pout it out.

About 10 minutes later, I notice that it is too quiet. I head down to Katie's room and find the door is closed. I try to open the door and realize that she is barring it with her body from the inside.

Fine by me, I head back to the Hot Wheels and a kid who doesn't seem to despise me so much.

10 Minutes later again, I head down to check on my distraught daughter and I find the following sign:

Now, to appreciate the full creativity here, you have to understand that Katie can't write. She has a book called, "Fancy Nancy" in which the character, Nancy, becomes upset at her parents, and makes a sign (very much like this one) and places it on her door. Katie knows the story, and decided to emulate the experience and mirror her anger by copying the sign, letter for letter, from a picture in the book -- not knowing exactly what it is saying.

Musta took her a while!

I especially enjoy the fact that the little guy standing in the rain under the clouds is me! Oh the cruelty!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh the pain of being a jilted girl! I'm glad I bought her that book - it helps her communicate with her Daddy who NEVER shows her any attention (just kidding). Not rewarding bad behaviour - not even cute bad behaviour is tough. Carry on Dad, wait till she gets in her preteens and then teens - yikes! Could the Barbies get all dressed up and get invited to the hot wheels event? They could cheer, and sit around and look pretty and eat hot dogs and drink beer? I mean milk.

Rachel said...

If you have been following our blog, you know that we get a a kid that runs to other room and pees (or poops) in her pants to get our attention (away from her sister). I'd prefer a slammed door and a sign!

Liam and Lucy said...

Oh such a clever little girl. I hope you played with her after that.