Monday, August 06, 2007

Breck



Well, we are back from our awesome trip to Colorado! Was really great to see all the family out there. Jen and the kids spent some extended time out there while I headed back to SD to work. Many many highlights from the trip while I was there. We visited Breckenridge and stayed in a very comfortable cabin in town with my sister and her family. I always love hanging with them, with kids the same age it is always entertaining to see the interactions.

Top moments for me:

Alpine Slide!!!


For those of you who dont know what an Alpine Slide is, well, its like a super long waterslide, except you sit on this sled/skateboard. Each of us grabbed a kid, a sled, and rode the chairlift at Breck to the top of the slide. Tanya and Zoe rode on a sled in front of Andy and me. When we started out, I gave TL and Zoe a good 30 second head start figuring Andy and I would catch up to them. I assumed Andy would want to go full blast... I was right about the full blast part at least. I quickly had us going at top speed and feeling in control (barely)... Andy was yelling "Faster Faster", so we did everything we could to barrel down the hill... to my amazement, my sister and Zoe had probaboly clocked the same speed as we didnt even see them all the way down. Jen and Katie (behind us) arrived shortly after us, and we could hear Katie screaming with delight as they approached (see pic)

Ice Cream in Breck


So, I have taken it upon myself to make sure I treat everyone to ice cream whenever we get family together. I really want to make that a tradition. I also like this tradition because it reminds me so fondly of my dad, his love of all things sweet, and how he used to take my sister an I to ice cream when we were kids. -- I especially enjoyed this one in Breck becuse Andy chose a cone (all the other kids had cups). After everyone else was gone and running off in stores, I sat there with Andy and watched him as he patiently worked on that cone. We went though about a thousand napkins, but his persistance and silent enjoyment of that treat was truly a magical thing to watch. He would lick, lick, lick, then look up and smile at me with ice cream all over his face... then he would go back to licking some more. I can only hope that my life will have more moments like that.

The crazy dice game -- Woody summed it up on thier blog. Here's the link: Megzo

Dancing in the park


Isn't dancing in the park always a good thing? Something about open spaces, good music, and the freedom to shake your body, resonates with everyone. The kids were tearing it up, laughing. I always wish those times would last just a little bit longer.

Great trip, thanks Andersons for having us!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The trip was so wonderful for all of you - can't wait to see you

Anonymous said...

Steve...I love your ice cream tradition! What are you guys doing next weekend?? :-)

Awesome group shot. Nice recap of such fond memories.

We had a great time with you as well. Until next time...

Rachel said...

We have a great ice cream place here in Castle Rock you can take us all to :)