Monday, May 14, 2007

Busy Weekend

I've got a few minutes here at work before I head home so I thought I'd update ya'll on the weekend.

Pretty busy around here celebrating stuff. My 37th birthday (yes I'll say it again... THIRTY SEVEN). Dear lord it hurts even to write it out, let alone say it out loud. As I cross the border into "closer to 40 than anything else" I have to say, the realization of my age is a scary prospect with no visable means of escape. Honestly, I look in the mirror and I still picture this 20-year-old guy who only wants to have fun... Weird. I really don't see a guy who is on the cusp of middle age! Man, am I in denial or what?

Jen was totally awesome in giving me the perfect birthday. I took off work early on Friday. Jen had bought these totally-3rd-grade Star Wards decorations (you know, Vader, Yoda, etc.) and hung them around the house. She had also had posters made by her and the kids wishing me a happy birthday. There were presents and snacks, and all kinds of fun. The topper had to be the authentic "Pin the Tail on the Donkey" game that she set-up.

We made the mistake of decorating before nap time. The kids didn't nap as they were so wound-up over the concept of presents and the decorations. After giving in to the reality that they weren't going to sleep, we opened a few gifts in the early afternoon. Then we set off to Dave and Busters at 4:00 for food and games. The kids were out of control and actually making the experience quite challenging as we tried to eat before we played games. I was starving, they hadn't napped, and we were all struggling to gel at the beginning.

Then miraculously (after my 2 giant margaritas) everything seemed to be really fun!

Seriously, the food was great (I had a giant Philly Steak Sandwich). And the kids went nuts on the games. We played everything. Jen had gotten us free passes for an hour so we were racing from game to game to get our money's worth. We were all exhausted after the frenzied video-gorging. I think my 2 highlights in the arcade were:

1) Andy playing this "Shoot-em-up" game where he was holding this GIANT rifle, complete with vibrating recoil -- he was basically knocking himslef backwards every time he pulled the trigger, but he was giggling so hard the whole time that it was hysterical. The second the game was over, he say, "I wa play gin!" (Yes yes, viololence, video-games, I'm a bad parent.)

2) Katie and I playing Donkey-Kong. Yes, they had the original there, circa 1976. And my old "jump the barrel" muscle memory hand-eye coordination skills flowed back into me like riding a bike. Kate loved it cause each level was all about saving the princess. Very fun. Flashed me back to playing Donkey Kong in the local Rusty's Pizza in Magnolia Shopping Center when I was like 7.

Saturday, Jen let me sleep in. She took the kids to two birthday parties in the am. Too much candy and too much fun left the kids in bad shape. I watched them Saturday night (while Jen went out with some friends) and Katie was literally "out of her mind' until about 10pm. It was a dark time I can assure you.

Sunday was, of course, Mommies day. Jen and the kids were vegetables at this point. Per Jen's request, we observed Mommy's Day by giving Mommy lots of space and rest. I took the kids as much as I could (poor Jen still had to help out in the midday) but we were able to get her an afternoon nap as well.

That's pretty much the recap, no pics yet but Ill shoot you some on the next post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun retro birthday celebration! Glad you guys had a good time.

Anonymous said...

Bday sounded great. Your Grandpa always said "Men really don't get brains until 35" (Sorry all you under 35 year old out there, wasn't my quote) so think of yourself as 2 and play on. Ironically looking in the mirror and seeing 20 - that goes on for all of us for the rest of our lives - I see 40ish now which explains alot of my decisions :-)

It was fun reading your update - love to you all.