Monday, December 11, 2006

Crabby


So we have simply been struck down by colds around here. Our house is a symphony of coughing and sneezing. I think we should have bought stock in Kleenex this year. Hopefully we will get though this things soon as Jen and I are finding it pretty difficult to keep-up under this plague!

Andy continues to be a challenge. His terrible twos are a bit amplified while he is sick. Beyond that, he interacts with the world in a much more physical way than his sister. For example, when Katie gets upset, she is very good at explaining this by folding her arms, sticking out her chin, and saying, "I'm VERY frus-ter-ated with you." Andy on the other hand, will simply kick, cry, and throw things. It's much more challenging to often determine why he is even upset. On top of this, he doesn't articulate with much accuracy right now, and so often times I have to call-in Katie to help translate...

Here's an example. I was showing today and Andy comes into the bathroom, tears streaming down his face, and wailing.

Andy: "Waaaaaaaaa! Waaaaaaaa!"

Shutting off the shower, I come out to find Andy holding a banana in his hands.

Steve: "Andy, what's a matter?"

Andy: "Waaaaaaaaaa!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!" (no really)

Steve: "Andy, use your words bud, what is wrong?"

Andy: "Waaaaaa! Bo Kit Da Deee Nana! Waaaa!"

Steve: "Katie? Can you tell me what he is saying?"

Katie: "He's mad because he wants his banana fixed."

Looking down, I realize that Andy's banana is in two pieces, one in each hand, and according to Katie, he wants it put back together...

Steve: "Andy, you want me to fix your banana?"

Andy: (Tears stopping immediately) "Yea."

Steve: "Umm, bud, I don't think I can fix a banana..." (Whooops)

Andy: "Waaaaaaaaaaa!"

OK, so you get the point. We have a lot of Andy moments like that right now. It's kinda funny when you don't have to do it 30 times a day! :)

5 comments:

Rachel said...

you could try to put a toothpick in the middle to fix it... probably not the best thing to take a bite out of, but...

Anonymous said...

I look forward with great anticipation to being with Crabby and his family here in Colorado.

Rachel said...

I'm pumped that Steve is posting. I hope the banana problem gets resolved.

Brianna Heldt said...

I am amazed on a daily basis by the differences in boys vs. girls. Andrew may be crabby but he is SO cute in that hat!

Kevin Heldt said...

Hey just found your blog! That is a classic exchange and I love that Katie can translate. I'd say duct tape could have done the trick. :) Anyway, I look forward to getting caught up. Hi to everyone.